Pound Buddies Rescue-The inside of the story.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Crate Training

Just some helpful knowledge if you are trying to train a dog...Crate Train. When I get a new dog from the pound, I do something I learned from 4 other volunteers at Pound Buddies Rescue. It's called 2 week shut down and helps with crate training. When I go to the pound and pick out a dog that I want to save, I bring them home on a leash, walk them around my yard on a leash (they potty) then I bring them into their own bedroom with their own crate. If they tend to bark or whine, I put a sheet or blanket over their crate and most of the time it quiets them. They live in that crate for about 23 hours a day for 2 weeks. They get let out to potty on a leash for about 15 minutes every 3 hours. I give them water in their crate 24/7, unless they dump it, in that case I offer it to them every hour. To feed them for the first two weeks I do what's called "find me for food" which is when you hand feed every little peice of food to them. It is time consuming, but this shows the dog that you are the Alfa or the "Person in charge." After 2 weeks of this, the dog will be wanting your attention and wanting to please you and that will make it 10 times easier to train them. It sounds mean, but some of the greatest trainers around do this. It works for sad dogs, mad dogs, happy dogs, scared dogs, shy dogs, wild dogs, mean dogs, etc... A lot people believe it's mean, I reassure you it's not. It's the best way to get a dog to listen and to remain listening. The dogs that get this training are the ones you can bring anywhere and not have on a leash cuz they stay right next to you and when you give them a command like stay, sit, down, off, no, etc...they respond immediately because they recognize that you are the one who feeds them and gives them their freedom. We are the ones who have saved their life. That's just a quick overview, for details email me and I'll let you know more.
posted by Katie at Tuesday, March 13, 2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home