Pound Buddies Rescue-The inside of the story.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Backyard Breeders and the Pupose of a Dog

This world is getting sadder everyday. There isn't one day that goes by that there is not an abandon animal. Backyard Breeders just keep at it. When I say backyard breeders, I mean the people that breed that are only in it for the money. They want the puppies out at 5-6-7 weeks old and the cash in hand. Puppies shouldn't even leave their moms until they are at least 10-12 weeks. Because there is no law to stop this, it's ongoing. There are so many purebreeds in the pound, as well as mutts, which are just as good, and yet, people are still going to backyard breeders. You know there is a Great Dane Breeder in Muskegon, MI that is breeding unhealthy pups. They are having knee problems, eye problems, tendin problems and it's really sad.
Working with dogs, I met a 12 week old Great Dane that had already had 2400.00 worth of knee surgery. The othre 2 brothers that I trained were the same age and having problems, but probably getting put down because not everybody has that kind of money to spend. It's really frustrating.

Another thing: I talk to so many people after they have bought a puppy and they tell me this dog is doing this, this and this... Then I say, well you do have ... For example: I had a lady call me about her Beagle. she said he's digging, he's running after squirrels and he barks at everything.

First of all, if you don't want a dog that barks, you had better get a stuffed animal. Second of all, why did you get a Beagle if you weren't hunting him? Why didn't you research the breed before you got one. Yes, you can have a Beagle for just a companion, I don't recommend it, but I don't recommend getting any dog without a purpose, but as long as you satisfy their drive to hunt and satisfy their need for exercise, their fine. The barking takes a little more training to work through, but it's all possible.

Going back to the thought of I never recommend getting a dog without a purpose. Meaning this: I have a 150 lb Rottweiler named Carl, I rescued. He is the greatest dog. he will be turning 7 this January and is in pretty good health for a big Rott. However, he is my baby and I do love him like I love my own child, but he is still my dog and he serves a purpose. He is my Guard/Protection dog. When my husband is gone for sometimes all hours of the night (he is a firefighter) I know if anybody comes to my door or breaks in, they are going to have a 150 lb Rottweiler right there to greet them! He is the most friendly dog in oublic, but you break into my house or threaten me, your done for.
The most famous question from everybody after I tell them that is: What if someone has agun and shoots him?
I would be devastated and thankful, but he would have served his purpose. Because by the time somebody took the time to take him out, me and my son would be safely out of the house.

I don't mean that in a bad way in any way possible, but it's fact.

Well, I think I have said quite enough for now...
posted by Katie at Wednesday, October 15, 2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home